Fatal error in CALL_AND_RETRY_2 (out of memory)

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I get this error in a test application which runs the following loop:

Loop
{
  Create JavascriptContext
  Load 88k of javascript
  Call a method in the javascript loaded
  Discard the context
}

Initially this runs very quickly (9mS per iteration) but by the 4500th iteration it suddenly slows significantly (200mS) and after 4800 iterations it finally bombs after a few seconds delay with the message:

#
# Fatal error in CALL_AND_RETRY_2
# Allocation failed - process out of memory
#

This occurs even when I explicitly call the C# GC at the end of the loop:

GC.Collect(GC.MaxGeneration, GCCollectionMode.Forced);
after nulling the JavascriptContext reference.  Is there something I should be doing to ensure that each iteration properly cleans up after itself.

The Javascript code is a templating engine which does a lot of string processing and data structure building/access but no I/O whatsoever.

Thanks,

Andy

Jan 13, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Interestingly, the slow-down and eventual memory fault disappear if you hoist the JavascriptContext create/destroy out of the loop. In this case it will happily run for 100000 iterations with no detectable GC pauses.

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Not sure to understand your question, but I'm experiencing pbs with the memory also. When you write "Discard the context", do you mean this: context.Dispose(); ? If I don't do that, my RAM keeps on growing...

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:35 PM
Edited Aug 9, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Same issue here. Indeed it looks like you have to discard the context after running your script.