This project is read-only.

Any new development?

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I'm currently investigating alternatives to using the Chakra engine via IActiveScript for a project that I'm working on. Incredibly unhappy with juggling COM objects all over the place and rigidity of adding .net objects to the script engine/context.

Is any new development of features planned for this project? Other implementations like Jurassic are wide on features, but I love the idea (speed and size) of using v8. That said, Javascript.NET could benefit from a swath of new features, many of which are outlined in the Discussions and Issue Tracker. 

I'd love to gain some insight on what is planned, if anything. Thanks for making this open source and for entertaining the question.

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I am not participating to JavaScript.net though I used it, Generally I use different JavaScript engines combined with C#.

I created 

• http://jyos.net/jyos 
  • www.jsonB.net
  • http://frederictorres.blogspot.com/2011/06/running-javascript-from-c-with-hint-of.html

In short,

If you need speed you have to use JavaScript.NET, if you need fast integration between your C# layer object and api and your JavaScript scripts,

then Jurassic has more to offer.

For JyOS, my javascript runtime for iOS, I have the ability from JavaScript code to call C# methods via dedicated method a little bit like the print() work.
And then the C# code can call back the JavaScript by generating source code JavaScript and asking the JavaScript engine to execute the code in the same session/context.

With this I can build nice Asynchronous API. This should be possible with JavaScript.net, but more difficult as it is written in C++.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:13 PM

JavaScript.NET is already doing what I need and I don't have the spare time to add new features that I don't personally need.  However if anyone submits a good, working patch then I will happily merge it and build a new release.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Edited Jan 9, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I'd recommend a move to Github or BitBucket in that case. It's infinitely easier to submit pull requests and handle merging.

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:35 PM
The new ClearScript project here on CodePlex may have some of the features you're looking for.
Jan 31, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Thanks for pointing me in that direction. Looks like a young project, but very promising.