When v8 update is planned ?

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I'm a newcomer in js.net, firstly it's a great engine with the easiest installation and embedding comparing with other script engines.
It took only several minutes to start to work with it.
Only 1 thing seems problematic - enough outdated v8 (from June 2010 ?).
When v8 update is planned ?
Before using js.net in a real application it would be great to know if v8 will be periodically updated wit the latest versions.
Again, js.net is really great !
Thanks,
Vladimir

Developer
Feb 19, 2012 at 9:01 PM

There is no schedule for upgrading v8.  It will happen when someone (perhaps me) wants it enough to do it.

Oliver

Feb 20, 2012 at 6:16 AM

Hi Oliver,
I like your direct answer :-)
About my worries, really I'd like to use js.net inside native C++ via mixed dll - it simplifies embedding comparing with direct v8 embedding (and other available engines too). Scripting is a secondary feature in my application so I prefer do not spend much time on embedding, js.net would be an almost ideal solution for this. From other side any candidate for scripting engine in real application should be continuously upgraded. I don't like manipulations that I should do to embed v8 directly but it's more suitable in my case than easily embedded js.net with outdated v8 :-( Of course there are other alternatives of scripting (not only js) engine for native C++ ... What do you think ?
Thanks,
Vladimir

Developer
Feb 20, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I would say that the v8 version we have is pretty stable.  Newer versions offer more speed, obscure changes to the JavaScript standard, and better concurrency.  The extra speed is not important unless you are running a lot of pure JavaScript, because your performance will be dominated by getting data in and out and switching between managed/unmanaged code.

Feb 21, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Hi Oliver,
Thanks for your explanation, you are right, I don't need pure js speed - js will be used as glue only for native C++ objects.
Having such great code you could expose C++ native interface in addition to existing .NET interface too.
Of course it cannot be such comfortable as .NET interface but it would simplify native connection to v8.
Thanks,
Vladimir

Developer
Feb 21, 2012 at 9:12 PM

If you want to connect v8 to native C++ objects then you should use the v8 library directly; you don't need this project.

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Theoretically it's correct but practically using v8 directly requires much embedding work:
- get source and many external tools, compile all that not so trivial - I already did it 1 time
- much ugly embedding code - nobody will agree to write it
Another thing is js.net - already compiled single dll, trivial C++/CLI wrappers, several minutes to get results including download time :-)
If I need simple js glue and all work will be done internally in C++, why I should spend much time on embedding ?
I don't write a new browser or game engine :-)