What's Javascript.net all aboot..?

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Hi,

I'm applying for a job that lists javascipt.net as desirable in it's skill set.

I have followed the Hello World example at http://javascriptdotnet.codeplex.com/documentation?referringTitle=Home.  The console app functions as expected and I understand what's happening.

The problem is that I don't really understand how it could be useful or what can done with it.  Maybe a slightly more in depth example might help but I can find very little about the technology.  The only in formation I have found is on Codeplex and there is no explanation or introduction that I can find.

I would very much appreciate a brief introduction to the technology.

I'm currently working with ASP.NET/C#, which may help in targetting your explanation, and am running Visual Studio 8, .Net Framework 3.5, WinXPSP3

Many thanks

Simon

Developer
Jan 17, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Probably the job is really about Microsoft JScript.Net.  Both that and this project are about embedding JavaScript in .Net applications.  You might want to do this because you want to make a web browser, or because you want to use JavaScript as a macro language within the application.

Coordinator
Jan 17, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Hello,

Javascript.NET has many possible applications in any context where scriptability is handy.

It is sometime necessary to compile and run short scripts at execution time. Some applications will need to provide a huge flexibility which can't be achieved with an interface.

For instance, say we're building a EMail client application, and we require a large flexibility in how rules are specified to sort emails in various mail folders. Sometimes a classic interface with checkboxes and dropdowns will not be flexible enough to achieve a desired behavior. Allowing the user to provide some rules as short scripts will considerably enlarge the possibilities on how received mail can be processed.

Any application which allows the user to specify an automated process as a script can benefit of Javascript.NET.

Javascript.NET was initially created to be part of a larger Content Management System solution for Web portals. Content generation can be fully automated and customized as scheduled script tasks, which fetch and organize data automatically in a form that is ready to publish for the target Web application platform.

We hope this helps.

Kind regards

The Noesis Team

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your explanations.

I have experience of writing javascript at run time within classic asp/vbscript code.  Would I be correct in viewing Javascript.Net in basically those terms but extended for flexibilty - e.g, allowing for the javascript to be written inside console app etc?

Thanks

Simon

Coordinator
Jan 18, 2011 at 12:11 AM

Your understanding of what it does seems correct. A way to put this is as follows:

One could create a Web browser supporting Javascript with Javascript.NET by creating a context and registering necessary variables in the context (such as "document", "window", etc.) to expose the classic browser functionalities such as DOM handling, pop up creation, and expose other common browser APIs.

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:18 AM

That's great, thanks very much.

Regards
Simon